Nutrient management workshop
On June 23 2014 the MCWSG hosted four speakers to discuss nutrient management. They included:
- The Otago Regional Council’s Nicola McGrouther who talked about Plan Change 6A;
- Rabobank’s Blake Holgate who discussed the changing farming environment, in regards to addressing water quality issues and the experience of other regions;
- Golder Associate’s Ian Lloyd who provided an overview of the work which was being carried by AgResearch for the Feasibility Study, on nutrient outputs and compliance with Plan Change 6A;
- Ballance Agri-Nutrients Scott Levings who gave a practical overview of the information/records and data which landowners need to keep to enable Overseer modelling to be carried out.
The workshop was held at the Omakau Rugby Clubrooms and was well attended.
“Opportunities, Options and Risks” workshop
On June 12 2014 the MCWSG and the ANZ Bank held an “Opportunities, Options and Risks” workshop. The speakers included:
- Alexandra-based chartered accountant George Collier;
- Guy Blundell from Compass Agribusiness;
- South Canterbury farmer and agribusiness consultant Nicky Hyslop, who discussed the positive effects the Opuha Dam and irrigation scheme has had in South Canterbury;
- ANZ Bank chief economist Cameron Bagrie.
The workshop was held in Omakau and was attended by about 100 landowners and agribusiness representatives.